In our 20s most of us are hypocrites (and even assholes) at some point when it comes to love and relationships. We will tell anyone what not to do, and then turn around and do just that. Why? Because we are young, inexperienced, selfish, and love is unpredictable. Moreover, people are flawed and sometimes make mistakes especially with matters of the heart. At this time most of us don’t even know ourselves let alone what we really want and need from others.

However, even with that being said there are 3 truths about love I have learned that will never change:

1.You must love yourself before you can truly love another.

As cliché as it may sound it’s the truth. It goes  along the same lines as, how can you expect others to respect you, if you don’t respect yourself? I mean, if you want to get technical, you can still love another even if you hate yourself, but that love is shallow and not pure; and when there is no depth to love, it will eventually shrink away. It is an unhealthy kind of love.

2.To get love, you have to give love.

Let’s take a metaphorical approach for this one. The Dead Sea, it takes everything the Jordan River gives yet in turns gives nothing. So it is said for that reason to be “dead.” If that is so, then if, you are only receiving, and not giving love, then you are also dead (in terms of love). The whole point of a real relationship is for there to be mutual and reciprocal love and that can only work when two people are equally benefitting from the relationship.

3.Love is the reason we are all here.

Every value, principle, and belief has at it’s root love.

17 thoughts on “3 Truths About Love That Will Never Change

1. Mike Osorio says:

Great wisdom for someone still in their 20’s. And, unfortunately most don’t ever grasp these truths. You’re off to a better start than most!

2. Rox says:

Thanks for liking one of my blog posts! I enjoyed this post very much. It is short, but so true. These are truly the top 3 truths about love. Thanks for sharing!

3. Great post! Like plurabella says before me, “sweet, beautiful, simple”.

Love the music addition too 🙂

4. TheKevin says:

Yuup, you’re a keeper, interested in your blogs! 🙂

5. TradeRoutz livingStyle says:

Thanks for the follow! I’m following you back and this blog is great too! x x

6. Naksh Jain says:

Reblogged this on Naksh PhotoGraphy and commented:
    Damn True #Avery

7. Really true! nice post 🙂

8. love is all there is. it is shining there within all realities. aww this is good! you keep it simple, the way diving is simple, but it goes deep. ❤

9. Terry L. Parris says:

Ashley, these are truths no matter what age you are. Even in my 50’s I see this. I’ve seen my youth repeated in the youth of today and see the same mistakes of others over and over and over again. It seems NO ONE is actually learning from their experiences or history. Though I’ve never married, I know the three things you state to be true. I made some interesting choices in my life and regretfully, I’ve never had children. Perhaps I’m happier for it, perhaps not. However, I’ve found one joy that is NOT found by someone who has made the mistake of marrying and then going through a divorce with children. That joy is the fact that I DID NOT ruin some child’s life via arguing in a divorce case.

10. Swetank says:

I completely Agree with you!

“You must love yourself before you can truly love another.”

Swetank,
    Be Bettr, Stay Bettr! 😀

11. I am in complete agreement. These are eternal truths.

12. Plurabella says: