One can center their life on an array of things: family, self, principles, friends, work, money, and a host of others. Many things influence our lives. However, it is crucial to have a solid center, because it affects how we interact, perceive, and interpret people and the world around us; circumstances that influence both our actions and reactions.

Centering your life on a series of core principles allows a stable foundation for personal growth. By principles, I mean the values and beliefs that make up your very core or character (in essence who you are). Unlike other life factors, principles are consistent and don’t depend on the behavior of others or the environment. Your principles should be fundamental truths that are timeless and unchangeable.

For me, holding to my principles is essential because I am a highly sensitive person who is often affected by other people and my surroundings. I’m like a sponge, I will soak-up others’ emotions. In crowds or social situations I tend to get very anxious and overwhelmed. I have found that creating a mission statement or daily affirmation helps me re-focus and re-center my mind in these situations.

One of the greatest assets of the human mind is imagination. Through it you can visualize a situation using your affirmation: that is, you see it, feel it, and experience it before it actually happens. So when you get into an uncomfortable situation it is not foreign, because you have created an internal comfort zone.

In his book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey points to the importance of affirmations in becoming the person that you really want to be. An affirmation should be personal, positive, engaging, and emotional. Many athletes and peak performers partake in this activity. You can do it before a game, performance, presentation, or really any event/situation.

According to Covey, it allows you to handle the situation with awareness. Visualizing that experience in advance forces you to think through your priorities carefully, so that you can align your behavior with your beliefs.

Here is an example of one of my affirmations: It is fulfilling (emotional) that I (personal) listen (engaged) with an open heart and think before acting, so that my decisions are made with love and integrity.

Such an affirmation is leading me down a path not driven by the superficial dramas that surround me but by a script that I have created for myself; a mission based on my own set of values.

13 thoughts on “How To Center Yourself For Greatness

1. Deb says:

Great Post, love this!! Avery I have nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award, if you choose to accept it here’s the link https://onceuponahotflash.wordpress.com/2015/10/10/sisterhood-of-the-world-bloggers-award/
    Congratulations!

2. Alicia says:

What a great read and an amazing blog! thanks for dropping by 🙂

3. Mike Osorio says:

Hi Avery. Thank you for “liking” one of my posts. Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits book is an all-time classic and timeless read. Exceptional wisdom and tools for living. Your post is well done and I hope your journey continues to be rich and fulfilling!

4. SherrieZone says:

As always a very thought provoking blog. Does it seem to you that more people want to discuss and get more insight into imagination and intuition? It seems I’m reading and hearing so much lately ….lots of interest.

5. oteymusic says:

This is a great article that could be used and developed upon for children in school. Public school is a highly volatile social environment. Divisions from home life and some adult’s negative attitudes flow through the children in class rooms and especially during breakfast, lunch and recess. Most of it is a matter of identity, and many families’s only identity focuses on looks, muscle, brain and social battles. Thank you for this article. I talked to my kids this morning about challenges–what they are and how we decide what kind of person we want to be when challenges happen. It’s a looooooong journey but worth the walk. Thanks, again. 🙂

6. Patrick says:

Gary Chapman is the author of a book titled “The Five Love Languages” and words of affirmation is one of the five. You have no doubt discovered something very important about yourself through Steven Covey’s book.

7. Tasman Tarot says:

Avery what an outstanding piece – thank-you!

8. mmatern23 says:

Great post! I love this book. keep it by my desk to read every day along with my “Personal Mission Statement”

9. Eva Finn says:

7 Habits is a great book! I’m so glad you discovered it and are sharing some of its insights with your readers 🙂

10. Silas Payton says:

Great post from the heart. Awesome.

11. Cristina says:

i loved this post and the message behind it. thank you so much for this!

12. Awesome post! Thank you for sharing! This is the same principle behind a vision board. Here is a good daily affirmation too: Today will be my day. I am the best me there is. I know I can do it. God is with me always. Please give me the strength to accept things in my life as they come because YOU (Higher Power) has the best plan for me.
    In a joking tone, I also ask to provide wisdom to all humans but for me just give me a little more so that I may understand things well!